Teeth Whitening Aftercare
TEETH WHITENING AFTERCARE
THE WHITE DIET
After a teeth whitening treatment, the pores of your enamel are open and this makes them extra vulnerable to any stains which can reverse a lot of the whitening benefit from your treatment.
Follow the White Diet for 24-48 hours after a teeth whitening treatment. Once the pores close, which usually happens within 24-48 hours after the procedure, you can resume your normal habits.
An easy rule to remember is anything that would stain white fabric; Avoid it! Remember though the more staining your diet the faster you will re-stain your teeth. Taking care with what you eat will keep your smile whiter for longer.
BEVERAGES to AVOID:
Lemonade, Orange Juice, Any Acidic Fruit Juice
Tea and Coffee
Colas and Other Fizzy Drinks
NON-STAINING ALCOHOLIC DRINKS:
ALCOHOLIC DRINKS TO AVOID:
Stout or Dark Beer
Coloured mixed drinks
FOOD YOU CAN HAVE:
Potatoes (NO skin)
FOODS TO AVOID: Try to avoid foods with colour. The more colourful, the more likely it can stain your teeth.
Coloured fruit and vegetables i.e. capsicum, Carrots and Orange Fruits and Vegetables
Broccoli, Spinach and Green Vegetables
Dark and milk chocolate
Rye and dark Bread
Tomatoes and Red Sauces such as Spaghetti Sauce
Curries and pickles
Butter and Margarine
- Avoid extremely hot or cold liquids. These are dangerous to your white smile because they change the temperature of your teeth. This temperature change (hot and cold cycling) causes teeth to expand and contract, allowing stains to penetrate your teeth.
- Try cutting down on these types of drinks (including coffee and tea) or try drinking them with a straw to reduce the amount of time they are in contact with your teeth.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are acidic. Acidic foods and beverages open up the pores of the tooth enamel allowing stains to more easily penetrate your teeth. Use a straw to help minimize the contact of these substances with your teeth.
- Cut back on drinking and smoking.
- Frequent consumption of alcoholic drinks and heavy smoking can reverse the effects of teeth whitening. Many alcoholic drinks such as wine have tannins that can stain the teeth.
- The same goes for the nicotine in tobacco. If you cannot quit drinking and smoking, at least try and reduce the frequency.
- Alcohol also reduces your resolve to avoid food which may stain your teeth.
- Use smudge-proof lipstick (Liquid Lipsticks are best, but ensure you don't get any on the teeth before it sets). Use smudge-proof lipstick to keep lipstick from getting on your teeth because regular lipstick can stain teeth.
- Also avoid tinted lip balm.
- For long lasting results, be sure to follow The White Diet during and after every teeth whitening.
- You may have a follow up treatment in 3-4 months if you desire. Keep in mind the more regularly you have a teeth whiting treatment the smaller the results of the treatment will be as there are not as many stains to bleach.
If for an event book our Ultra White Top Up Session 1 week after your initial session to have those pretty pearly whites for your Wedding, Formal or Event.